If you have a garage that gets hot and stuffy, especially in the summer, you might want to install an exhaust fan to improve the ventilation and air quality. However, manually turning on and off the fan can be inconvenient and wasteful. A smart solution is to use a Sonoff Mini R2, a compact DIY smart switch that can control your fan wirelessly via your smartphone, voice assistant or home automation system like Home Assistant. In this article, we will show you how to set up and use a Sonoff Mini R2 to automate your garage exhaust fan.
What You Need
To complete this project, you will need the following items:
- A Sonoff Mini R2 smart switch
- A compatible exhaust fan
- A power cord and plug
- A screwdriver and wire stripper
- An eWeLink account and app
- A Wi-Fi network
- An Alexa or Google Home device (optional)
Step 1: Install the Sonoff Mini R2
The Sonoff Mini R2 is a two-way Wi-Fi wireless smart switch that can be installed inside a standard switch box or behind the wall. It supports both 120V and 240V AC input and output, and can handle up to 10A of current. It also has an external switch interface that allows you to connect a rocker light switch for manual control.
To install the Sonoff Mini R2, follow these steps:
- Turn off the power supply to the exhaust fan circuit at the breaker box.
- Open the switch box or the wall where you want to place the Sonoff Mini R2. Make sure there is enough space for the device, which measures 42.6 x 42.6 x 20 mm.
- Connect the input wires from the power supply to the L and N terminals on the Sonoff Mini R2. Make sure the polarity is correct.
- Connect the output wires from the exhaust fan to the L1 and N1 terminals on the Sonoff Mini R2. Make sure the polarity is correct.
- If you want to use a rocker light switch for manual control, connect it to the S1 and S2 terminals on the Sonoff Mini R2. Make sure the switch is in the off position.
- Secure the Sonoff Mini R2 inside the switch box or behind the wall with screws or adhesive tape.
- Turn on the power supply to the exhaust fan circuit at the breaker box.
Step 2: Pair the Sonoff Mini R2 with eWeLink
The Sonoff Mini R2 works with eWeLink, a free app that allows you to control your smart devices from anywhere with your smartphone. You can also use eWeLink to create smart scenes, timers, schedules, and routines for your devices.
To pair the Sonoff Mini R2 with eWeLink, follow these steps:
- Download and install the eWeLink app on your smartphone from Google Play or App Store.
- Create an eWeLink account and log in.
- Tap the "+" icon on the home screen to add a new device.
- Select "Quick Pairing" mode and tap "Next".
- Press and hold the pairing button on the Sonoff Mini R2 for 5 seconds until it flashes rapidly.
- Enter your Wi-Fi network name and password and tap "Next".
- Wait for the pairing process to complete. You should see a message saying "Successfully added 1 device".
- Rename your device as "Garage Exhaust Fan" or something else you prefer and tap "Done".
Step 3: Control Your Garage Exhaust Fan with eWeLink
Once you have paired your Sonoff Mini R2 with eWeLink, you can control your garage exhaust fan with your smartphone. You can also use voice commands if you have an Alexa or Google Home device.
To control your garage exhaust fan with eWeLink, follow these steps:
- Open the eWeLink app on your smartphone and tap on your device name.
- Tap on the power button icon to turn on or off your garage exhaust fan remotely.
- Tap on the timer icon to set a countdown timer for your garage exhaust fan. You can choose from 1 minute to 23 hours 59 minutes.
- Tap on the schedule icon to set a regular schedule for your garage exhaust fan. You can choose from daily, weekly, monthly, or custom options.
- Tap on the scene icon to create smart scenes for your garage exhaust fan. You can trigger your device by another device, temperature, humidity, weather, sunrise/sunset, or time.
- If you have an Alexa or Google Home device, you can link your eWeLink account with it and use voice commands to control your garage exhaust fan. For example, you can say "Alexa, turn on Garage Exhaust Fan" or "Hey Google, turn off Garage Exhaust Fan".
By using a Sonoff Mini R2, you can automate your garage exhaust fan and make it smarter and more convenient. You can control your fan from anywhere with your smartphone or voice assistant, and set timers, schedules, and scenes to suit your needs. You can also save energy and money by avoiding unnecessary use of your fan. The Sonoff Mini R2 is a versatile and affordable device that can be used for different kinds of switch boxes and appliances. You can find more information about the Sonoff Mini R2 on the official website.